Calling all Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend warriors, there’s still time to see it again. While the cosmic storm swirling around Star Wars: The Force Awakens intensifies, those of us training, packing and dreaming about next week’s races are being whipped into a “Finn” frenzy. In fact, I’m considering taking book for the over and under on the number of Rey running costumes covering the course. (I know this for certain, because the search for my own Rey outfit yielded “sold out” on every website I could find.) Last year’s runDisney event brought me a PR and new favorite race. This January? Read on- the sky’s the limit…
On the afternoon of January 6, with early box office results in, STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS became the highest grossing film of all time in the domestic market, surpassing the $760.5M lifetime gross of Avatar in a record-shattering 20 days of release. In addition, the film crossed the $800M mark at the international box office today.
Through Jan. 5, the film had grossed $758.2M domestically and $799.1M for a global total of $1,557.3M since its Dec. 16 global debut.
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS debuted in the US and Canada on Dec. 18, its first two weeks pushing the domestic annual industry box office to an all-time high of $11B. It has set numerous individual records including:
· Fastest film to reach $100M (21 hours), $200M (3 days), $300M (5 days), $400M (8 days), $500M (10 days), $600M (12 days), and $700M (16 days)
· Biggest all-time debut and biggest December debut ($247.966M), propelling the industry to the biggest overall moviegoing weekend of all time ($313.3M for all films, Dec. 18-20)
· Biggest second weekend of all time ($149.2M), propelling the industry to the biggest overall Christmas weekend of all time ($296.4M for all films, Dec. 25-27)
· Biggest third weekend of all time ($90.2M)
· Biggest Thursday preview gross ($57M)
· Biggest Friday, opening, and single day ($119.1M)
· Biggest Sunday ($60.55M), Monday ($40.1M), and Tuesday ($37.3M)
· Biggest Christmas Day ($49.3M) and New Year’s Day ($34.39M)
· Highest per-theater average for a wide debut ($59,982)
· Biggest opening week ($390.85M)
· Biggest IMAX debut ($30.1M)
Globally, the film posted the highest global opening weekend of all time ($528.967M) and surpassed $1B in a record 12 days. It also had the biggest global IMAX debut ($48M) and surpassed $152M in IMAX in a record 19 days. It was the highest international debut in December history with $281M, and it remains #1 in many territories after posting the biggest opening weekend in at least 18 major markets.
Named one of AFI’s top 10 films of 2015, STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS now heads into its fourth weekend of global release ahead of a debut in its final international market, China, on Jan. 9.