A runDisney 5K is always a happy, feel-good event, but Disney Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run stands apart from the usual. In addition to the expected “haunted” 3.1 miles, the grass, dirt/sand/gravel path and track running surfaces can present unexpected but enjoyable challenges. Personally, once a runDisney trail run was announced I couldn’t sign up quickly enough. My joints just love these forgiving surfaces (Top PT Tips for Trail Running), and with some basic planning yours will too!
On Saturday, October 4th, 2014 the fun begins at 5:30 a.m., as busses transport racers from the Host Resorts to ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. All participants must be in their corrals by 7:15 a.m. to prepare for the 7:30 a.m. race start.
|Leave plenty of time for photo ops with characters and friends alike!|
|Watch the sunrise as you enter the corrals.|
Dew-coated grass greets the happy haunted runners as the 5K begins, so ghouls and goblins should take care as they make their stride.
|Watch your step!|
Take advantage of the distinctive “villainous” Disney Character entertainment on this course; Br’er Bear and Br’er Fox, Big Bad Wolf, Captain Hook, a haunted pirate ship and the Haunted Mansion Grave Diggers to name a few.
|Notice the hazard cones and muddy conditions.|
Keep your head up for terrain changes, occasional narrow paths and spooky sounds emanating from the woods.
|5K Finisher Medallion|
– Stay alert on the course, as mud turns to marsh and then to sand quickly. It would be wise to step aside and come to a full stop before snapping your race photos.
– Be watchful for ruts, stones and other surface abnormalities on the natural path; there’s nothing magical about a turned ankle!
– The sides of the paths are generally less worn and may offer more traction.
– If you own trail shoes, you will appreciate them on this course.
– There are two water stops during Disney Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run (mile 1.5 and mile 2.25).
– Perhaps this is not the 5K for runDisney newcomers; the added variables might distract from the fabulous runDisney fun factor.
– Be aware that the entire course route traverses ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. There is no time spent running through a Disney Park during this race.
A description of all other Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend events can be found at the Virtual runDisney Blog Hop HERE. Thank you again to all 15 writers and a special shout out to co-host Julie @runwalkfastpass!