**I received a pair of shoes to “test drive.” All personal and professional opinions are completely my own, free of influence, and posted with full integrity.
I could blame it on aging (hallux valgus), running (foot spread), or simply a lack of tolerance, but I have been SO challenged to find a comfortable theme park shoe this past decade. If you read this blog, you know I spend a fair amount of time in certain Disney Parks globally- Walt Disney World, Disneyland, and Disneyland Paris specifically. I am not alone. A typical Guest at Walt Disney World Resort may log 10 miles a day on their feet. Extra weight, knee injuries young and old, back ailments, and any number of alignment issues will create distress with that kind of extreme mileage.
So the quest is real. And my answer came one day while perusing Twitter. I stumbled across the most sensational loafer-looking shoes that claimed lighter than air qualities. (Think Dumbo’s feather light.) Enter Floafers.
Available for both men and women in over 10 colors for each, these stylish shoes multitask on land, beach, and wet terrain. Those OTHER resin-type clogs you may have seen around the parks have their own aesthetic, but these appealed to a more classic and mature sensibility. Made of anti-microbial ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA), Floafers perfectly intersect form with fashion. Adventure-lovers and magic-seekers alike will love these shoes!
My chilly 14-hour Floafers day went from Disney Springs to Magic Kingdom to Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. These are my impressions:
- I can’t say enough about the look; not too preppy, not too cutesy.
- Floafers are not available in half sizes, so size guides are available.
- The environmentally-friendly EVA construction was a plus for me.
- The odor-resistant quality will be oh-so-beneficial in the upcoming, more typical humid Orlando weather.
- 360 degree ventilation allows for a walk through water features and kiddie play areas with a quick air dry.
- Built-in “massage pod” embedded in the sole might be more apparent if socks are not worn. (I picked a chilly day in December for my “run.”)
- Therefore, I did not test their buoyancy feature! But they are certainly lighter than a Dumbo feather, so I do not doubt that they float in water. (Think the perfect Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon shoe??)
- Non-slip soles. PERFECT for klutzy me!!
- After 10 hours, I found that I was wishing that there was some insole arch support. THIS IS AN EASY FIX Floafers- call me! Meantime, I will bring my running shoe inserts with me as I return to the parks next week. Stay tuned for my impressions on this modification.
Need more magical footwear choices? Our pals at Verawise Travel have assembled a complete guide for the Best Shoes For Disney!
Touring theme parks will load the foot and lower body in extraordinary ways, creating fatigue and overuse that the structures of the forefoot and shin may not be able to respond well to. If you typically require an insert or prescription orthotic (whether semi-rigid or rigid) to correct pronation, supination, or other alignment issues (such as a high fixed arch), bring them along with you on your vacation. No matter the shoe chosen, always up size at least 1/2 to allow for additional room for the insert.
Floafers tend to run a bit shy of true-to-size to allow for stretch with wear, so factor this into your choice. This company offers a 5 day exchange/refund policy.